I recently took a journey back through an old journal, and I found a page where I’d written some prompts. I wrote these at the tail end of an illness that forced me into a deep retreat inside myself, unable to work or do much at all for a year. In my journal, I wrote:
I feel it coming back and I feel such gratitude. I know the journey of healing isn’t always a straight line and will continue to feature bumps and dips, but I feel the energy of my writing, my creative soul, pouring back into my heart, my arms, my fingers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I will try to keep blank paper at hand so my heart can fill it…
Then I gave myself these writing prompts, which came from a deep place of reflection on my life that my illness and my feeling of creative rebirth inspired. I’d like to share them with you now:
- Friends you have had. What you remember most.
- Things you have obsessed over.
- Things you have done secretly.
- Things you wish you had done.
- Things you wish you hadn’t done.
- Things that trap you.
- Things you don’t tell anybody about yourself.
- Things that free you.
- Roads not taken.
- People you wanted but couldn’t have.
- Things you wanted but couldn’t have.
As always, if you use these prompts to write something you’d like to share, I’d love to read them!