Life is interfering with my desire to get a new post written, so instead I’m offering one of my most popular lists:
- Do something you haven’t done since you were a child. Slide down a slide. Eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Play in a sprinkler. Sing a song you liked when you were a kid.
- Keep a notebook next to your bed, and write about whatever wakes you up.
- Take a little time to stop “doing” and just “be” for a while. Meditate. Walk. Stare at the wall. Soak in a bubble bath.
- Spend some time doing anything you consider fun, even if it seems frivolous. Especially if it seems frivolous.
- Go for a walk and look at everything in your path as if you’re seeing it for the first time.
- Do something creative. Color. Dance. Play with Play-Doh.
- Pay attention to your dreams—both the night kind and the day kind.
- Rip up your To Do list for the day or for the afternoon and do whatever you feel like doing.
- Go outside at night and count the stars. Or waltz in the rain. Or share your secrets with the moon.
- Do something silly. Talk in a funny voice. Walk down the street backwards. See if you can balance a spoon on your nose.
Copyright © Sandy Ackers, Strangling My Muse: Struggling to Live a Creative Life in a Stressful World, http://www.stranglingmymuse.com